In the Tampa area, homeowners have choices when it comes to what type of roof to have put on during a roof replacement. Three common types of roofing in this part of the country are asphalt shingle roofs , tile roofs , and metal roofs. Here is some information on each of these types of roofing materials to consider. Your Dynasty Building Solutions professional will help you make the final decision based on which is best for your home, and it’s important to keep in mind that some HOAs dictate the type of roof that you must have.
What You Need to Know About Tile Roofs
Tile is a popular type of roofing for those who live in upscale HOA areas, and of course, people who don’t live in HOAs also can choose a tile roof. If you are considering this option, keep these factors in mind:
- Tile lasts a very long time. It wouldn’t be unusual for a tile roof to last 50 or 60 years, and some can last up to 100 years, so your roof would be likely to last at least as long as you live in your home.
- Tile has a high up-front cost. It costs more than shingle or metal roofs. However, because it lasts so long and requires virtually no maintenance, it tends to pay for itself.
- Tile roofs are made for this climate. The hot weather, the frequent downpours, and the potential for high winds are usually no match for a tile roof.
- Tile is heavy. If you don’t currently have a roof that can withstand the weight of tile, you will need to have it reinforced.
- Repairs can be expensive. While it isn’t likely that your tiles will break, if they do, the repair is not as easy as a repair on a shingle roof. Also, if there is damage to the wood or underlayment, the costs can run higher than they would be on different types of roofs.
What You Need to Know About Shingle Roofs
The most common type of roof is an asphalt shingle roof. It is an economical choice and appropriate for Southwest Florida. Here are some of the considerations to keep in mind when you are thinking about having an asphalt shingle roof installed:
- Shingles are usually the most inexpensive option. If you are on a budget and getting your roof replaced, asphalt shingles are worth heavy consideration. The up-front cost will be lower than you’d have with other types of roofs.
- Shingles are good for almost all roof shapes. If you have an oddly shaped roof or a lot of different elevations, shingles will still be a fairly easy installation.
- Asphalt shingles are available in different qualities. You will want a high-quality shingle that has been pre-treated to prevent mold and mildew if you are in the Tampa Bay area.
- Asphalt roofs can last up to about 30 years. While this is a good lifespan, they don’t last as long as tile roofs. If you live in your home for a few more decades, chances are good that you will have to replace the roof at some point.
- Asphalt shingles can crack or fade. With the strong sun and the high winds that this area of the country is known for, it isn’t terribly unusual for shingles to crack or fade. The good news is that repairing an asphalt roof is fairly inexpensive.
What You Need to Know About Metal Roofs
Metal roofs have become more popular in recent years. They can be made of steel, aluminum, or other metal materials. Here is what you should keep in mind:
- Metal roofs last a long time. They will generally last longer than an asphalt roof but not quite as long as a tile roof. Because metal roofing is resistant to insects, fire, and moisture, there isn’t a lot that can damage them.
- Metal roofs reflect heat. In Tampa, you are going to want to minimize the amount of heat that gets into your home, and metal is a good option for reflecting that sunlight away so it doesn’t heat up your house as much.
- You will hear the rain with a metal roof. This can be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. It might take some time to get used to the tapping sound of rain, but once you do, you might find it appealing and relaxing.
- Metal roofs have a moderate to high up-front cost. They cost more than asphalt shingles, but they also last longer, so the value might be greater.
- Hailstorms can be hard on metal roofs. Large hail can dent certain types of metal roofs, though some brands are guaranteed not to dent. Since hail is always a possibility during summer storms, bring this up with your roofing professional.
- Metal roofs are not recommended for those living on the coast. This is because the salt in the air can cause rusting, corrosion, and pitting. Many manufacturers will not warranty metal roofs if the home is on the coast, so be sure to ask your roofing company whether a metal roof is an option in your specific location.
Making the Decision That Is Best for You
At Dynasty Building Solutions , we work with homeowners to determine which type of roofing is best. Once you decide whether you’d prefer tile roofing, shingle roofing , or metal roofing, we will then help you evaluate the different options within that category. We can discuss all of this and answer your questions during your consultation appointment to assist you in making the decision that is right for your home, your budget, and, if applicable, your HOA. Contact us to learn more about the different types of roofing recommended in Tampa and to schedule your consultation appointment if you are thinking about having your roof replaced.